NEW YORK — Tom Petty’s family said Friday that his death last yearwas due to an accidental drug overdose.
His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty said they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the rock musician’s overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.
The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone, in his system.
The family’s statement said Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.
“We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” the family statement said.
It added, “As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.”
Petty had just wrapped up a tour before he died in October at age 66.
Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final…