As snow moves through the area Wednesday, Virginia State Police troopers have responded to 27 crashes and six disabled vehicles.
The majority of the crashes – 13 of them – are in the Salem Division in the western part of the state.
“To prevent additional crashes and to keep from getting stuck, state police are advising Virginians to delay their travel so VDOT can continue to treat and clear the roads as the snow continues to fall,” Virginia State Police said in a news release.
State police say troopers have responded to a “handful” of incidents in the Metro Richmond area.
Travelers are advised to:
- Make sure all windows and lights are clear of snow before heading out.
- Always buckle up – driver and all passengers.
- Drive distraction free – put down the phone and coffee and keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
- Use headlights to increase your visibility and to help other drivers see you better.
- Share the road responsibly with VDOT vehicles and emergency vehicles.